Swift Navigation, Inc. has been redefining GNSS positioning technology since 2012. What began as the industry’s first low-cost, high-accuracy, real-time kinematic (RTK) receiver has evolved into an ecosystem of GNSS positioning solutions for autonomous applications. The Starling® Positioning Engine is an integrated software solution for precise positioning while the Skylark™Cloud Corrections Service delivers GNSS corrections across the contiguous U.S.—eliminating traditional geographical restrictions. Piksi® Multi and ruggedized Duro® and Duro Inertial RTK receivers deliver centimeter-level accuracy at an affordable price, making them ideal for commercial and industrial applications. Swift Navigation’s technology benefits a multitude of industries and applications—including autonomous vehicles, precision agriculture, robotics, rail, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and surveying. Swift Navigation is enabling a future of autonomous vehicles to navigate and understand the world, where autonomous transportation can safely take you home, fields farm themselves and your next application can be a reality. Learn more online at swiftnav.com
This role leads the people function at Swift Navigation, which has already grown to a 90-person company with a satellite office in Melbourne. The opportunity calls for an experienced and passionate leader with 5+ years experience to work closely with the Executive and Senior Leadership teams. Reporting to the EVP of Marketing and People Ops, the Director of People is a critical position that will provide guidance and leadership, have a hand in driving in the next phase of growth at Swift and develop an environment where our team can thrive. This is an exceptional opportunity to help how we recruit, develop and retain top talent for an emerging and transformative category.
- (20%) - Manage members of the People Operations department including People Operations Coordinator/Office Manager, Talent Acquisition and Facilities; responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within that department.
- (20%) - Recruiter Management: drive engagement with key recruiters and ensure Swift is well represented in their work.
- (15%) - Manage company-wide HR programs and initiatives (e.g., compensation & benefit reviews, equity programs, workforce planning, training & development, retention strategies, employee engagement surveys).
- (10%) - Execute compensation and benefits programs to include annual salary review process, salary surveys and analysis, benefit programs and employee services/perks.
- (5%) - Compliance: Partner with IT, Finance and Safety to ensure HR policies and practices comply with applicable law, standards and best practices. Develop a scalable approach to People Operations in line with business needs, culture and values, including relevant programs addressing global programs, compliance and processes. Ensure we scale not only in a compliant way, but in a manner consistent with and mindful of our culture and values.
- (5%) - Work with team and company leadership in creating and implementing contemporary, data-driven systems that ground HR decision-making.
- (25%) - All Else
○Provide HR advising, executive coaching, insights and solutions to the leadership team to address business challenges and leader development. Provide expertise and oversight in the following areas: employee on-boarding, off-boarding and engagement; career development, performance management, coaching, compensation and rewards, employee relations, learning and development and company compliance.
○Establish trusted relationships with leadership team to provide thought leadership regarding organization and people-related strategy and execution.
○Provide leadership and support as a trusted employee relations resource for all employees. Provide coaching, mentoring, and development for team managers, and prioritize staffing plans and strategies to meet team growth needs
○Lead and own all ongoing programming related to professional development, feedback cycles, and career growth for all employees. Partner with managers to drive culture forward and solidify our core values in everything we do.
○Provide strategic leadership on diversity and inclusion efforts.
○Partner with management team to develop and design competitive local and global compensation structures including base compensation, incentive plans, and benefits.
○Maintain and communicate internal HR policies; manage the completion of employee related legal documents; stay on top of changing laws both local and national.
○Organize and execute regular team-building events and programming.
○Oversee the full cycle recruitment function including forecasting assistance to management team, external recruiter management, job posting, candidate sourcing, the onsite interview experience, reference checking, selection and offers.
○Lead the development, communication and roll-out of HR policies and programs, as well as providing consultative guidance to both manager and employee inquiries.
○Collaborate with the CFO/EVP Engineering to develop and implement the company’s compensation and salary administration programs. Assist with company wage and salary structure, pay policies and oversees the variable pay systems within the company including bonuses and raises.
○Oversee benefits administration, including providing information to effectively benchmark against other organizations to remain an employer of choice.
- 5+ years of experience as a Director of People or People Operations Manager at another technology startup that grew to over 100 employees.
- 3+ years of experience managing other employees in operations, human resources or recruiting.
- Strong interpersonal skills - you are particularly adept at interacting with engineers.
- Past experience as a recruiter - you know how to sell and close candidates. You understand the achievable metrics for a recruiting organization to thrive.
- You have developed a performance management process, standardized and rolled it out company-wide.
- Proven track record of mentorship to both individual contributors and management.
- You have seen the people function at a variety of organizations and you have your own organizational philosophy.
- In-depth knowledge of state, federal and applicable international employment laws and ideally SHRM certifications.
- You have set up an HRIS system and know how to implement it, administer it and roll it out.
- Organized. Truthful. Persistent. You get things done.
We are located in San Francisco, close to public transportation and we are well financed. We offer unlimited vacation days, competitive salary and benefits, stock options, a 401(k), a casual office environment, hackathons and tech talks to push the professional growth of all or employees. Come join us!
- Flexible vacation, competitive salary and stock options, employer covered health insurance, 401(k).
- Fully stocked kitchen, weekly catered lunches and tech-talks.
- Free gym membership.
- Growth and learning opportunities from a startup environment include working closely with an international team of scientists, engineers, platform architects, programmers and professionals.