Swift Navigation is looking for an Estimation Engineer to join its Estimation Team. The Estimation Team is responsible for translating noisy signals sent from space into precise location estimates which will be used for the future of automation.
The problem, in brief, starts with weak radio signals sent from satellites orbiting earth at 14,000 kmh. As the signals approach earth they're bent by relativistic effects, delayed by ionized particles, and refracted by near surface weather resulting in noisy, biased distance estimates which can be used to produce the location of a receiver. The Estimation team is responsible for teasing the signal from the noise, we use physical models for the things we know and statistical models to capture the rest with the goal of producing position estimates two orders of magnitude more precise than traditional GPS.
The ideal candidate uses words like "correlation" and "posterior" in daily conversation. They know the names Kalman, Cholesky and Bayes. When they hear someone say Monte Carlo, they don't think of the city. They have enough experience in academia to know how to perform research, but enough experience in industry to know to start simple and iterate.
You should have skills and experience with:
- Advanced degree in Math, Stats, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace, Astronomy or similar.
- 1+ year of experience in research, modeling, building and writing code in a core library, and writing code for correcting navigational positioning systems
- Experience in GNSS, GPS experience is a plus
- Know how to properly evaluate a model.
- Always likes to learn new things. (in this case, GNSS positioning).
- Are comfortable with C++, python or both.
- Have experience collaborating using version control. (git / version control).
We prefer if you possess skills in one or more of:
- Have a background in GNSS.
- Know their Erdos number.
- Have experience with spatial processes.
Swift Navigation, Inc. was founded in 2012 to make GPS positioning technology more accurate and affordable. Its GPS and GNSS positioning products are available a fraction of the price of the competition and deliver 100 times better accuracy than the GPS in a cell phone. Swift Navigation’s technology benefits a multitude of industries and applications—including autonomous vehicles, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), precision agriculture, robotics, surveying and space. With its innovation and technology honored by Inc.’s 2016 and Forbes 2017 30 Under 30 lists, Swift Navigation is enabling a world where fields farm themselves, drones fly safely and autonomous transportation can take you home.
We are located in San Francisco, close to public transportation and are well financed. Swift offers unlimited vacation days, competitive salary and benefits, 401(k), a casual office environment, hackathons and tech talks to push the professional growth of all or employees. Come join us!