Spire is a satellite powered data company that owns and operates one of the world’s largest satellite constellations and ground station networks collecting high-value data from space. We are looking for an experienced Commercial Counsel to help us tackle a broad range of critical issues and to help strengthen the moats around our business. We manufacture cutting edge technology in Europe, export it to several different countries, launch it into space under three different flags, deploy ground stations in over a dozen countries on the ground to capture data and sell data to customers all around the world out of three locations. Sound complicated (i.e., fun) enough yet?
As Commercial Counsel, you will be a critical part of making this happen. You will have the opportunity to work alongside an all-star team of individuals who build our technology and satellite network and another set of all-stars who sell the outputs to our customers around the world. You will have to know the entire business. You will have the opportunity to structure and strategize on your deals guiding your colleagues to the best result for the company. But most importantly for you, you’ll have the chance to build a wealth of expertise in an industry that is heading up and to the right.
Responsibilities of your role:
- Drafting and negotiating commercial contracts on both the sales and vendor side
- Building forms and contracting structures for new lines of business
- Advising internal clients of all experience levels with practical risk management advice while taking into account our strategic growth imperatives
- Evaluating contractual relationships of partners, M&A targets and others
- Understanding the competitive landscape of our industry and working with internal clients to craft solutions that put us in a privileged position within the industry, be that exclusive supply agreements, call options on launch slots, technology out licensing, right of first offers on business opportunities, etc. You’ll get to know your business partners and what they need both short and long term and structure your deals to accomplish those goals
Qualifications / Experience:
- JD from a top law school
- A combination of law firm and in-house experience
- Minimum 6 years’ experience
- Knowledge of certain other corporate areas that you will be able to pitch in with, such as equity compensation, employment law, venture capital, patenting and/or international tax, etc.
- Proven ability to learn, adapt and grow
- Extremely detail-oriented in the day to day work but never losing sight of the big picture
- Efficient and high leverage person
Strong candidates will also possess skills in one or more of the following areas:
- A highly regulated area of the law, such as satellites
- Experience with Federal government contracts
- Experience dealing with lots of international clients and vendors
- Experience with space or satellite related contracts (ground stations, launch, manufacture, etc.) or a manufacturing type business is a huge plus!